Google “health drinks” and thousands of concoctions will pop up on your screen touting benefits from better digestion to clearer skin to weight loss. A lot of different health drinks involve lemon, and lemon water seems to be a popular go-to for anyone trying to lose weight. The logical reason for it helping to lose weight is that by drinking water instead of other calorie loaded alternatives, naturally you consume less calories in a day, and lose weight (with the lemon being added in for the purpose of better flavour). But did you know that there are other benefits of drinking lemon water beyond weight loss?
Most articles that I’ve read boast a number of benefits to drinking lemon water, but when I looked into it further, a lot of it was fluff (for example, a number of articles claim potassium as a benefit, but the juice of one lemon only has approximately 3% of your daily value). So I won’t give you a laundry list, but the benefits that I will mention are legit.
- Vitamin C: Lemons are loaded with Vitamin C (approximately 88% daily value), so drinking a glass of lemon water each morning provides a nice boost to your immune system. Vitamin C also aids in collagen production, so you’ll feel better both inside and out!
- Fibre: The juice of one lemon contains 11% of your daily dietary fibre (if you add in the pulp). By drinking a glass of lemon water in the morning, you’re starting your day with a solid hit of fibre that will work throughout the day to regulate your blood sugar levels, and also keep you feeling fuller longer.
So, the question everyone probably has is “does lemon water actually work?” Well, I tried it myself for two weeks to answer this for you. I drank lemon water (almost) every morning, 15-20 minutes before eating breakfast. I mixed the juice of half a lemon (if you’re under 150 pounds, use half a lemon, if you’re over 150 pounds, use a whole lemon) with a large glass of water, and here’s what I noticed:
- I had more energy, both in the morning and throughout the day. I found myself no longer needing caffeine in the morning, because the tangy lemon water was enough to wake me up. Not only that, but the energy boost lasted all day long, without the mid-day slump you get after drinking coffee in the morning.
- I felt less bloated. This one I didn’t notice right away; there were a few mornings where I was in a rush and didn’t drink my lemon water, and on these days I noticed I felt a lot heavier than the days when I had drank lemon water.
- Less breakouts. Over the two weeks I noticed a minor improvement in my skin. I’m not sure if this is because I was drinking more water, or because of the lemon juice, but either way, I’ll take it!
Overall, drinking the lemon water had more noticeable benefits than I thought it would, so I’m going to keep going with this. Comment below if you have any questions about trying it yourself, or if you’d like to see an update in a few months!