With less than three weeks left until Christmas, it’s crunch time for gift shopping! Got a family member or friend who loves health and fitness, or is planning on getting back into it for the new year? Here are some gift ideas to show your support!
- Yoga mat
- Whether your loved one is in to yoga or not, a yoga mat is essential. When working out at home it prevents you from having to sit on rough carpet or cold tiles, and when going to a yoga class it means no one else’s sweat has touched your mat. Pretty useful if you ask me! The top of the line ones (e.g. Lululemon) can get pretty expensive, but unless you’re a hard core yogi, one from Winners, Wal-Mart or Costco will do the trick. Just make sure it comes with carrying straps or a carrying bag!
- Cost: $15-$20 at Winners
- Buy it here: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everlast-yoga-mat-black/6000017249933
- Resistance bands
- Resistance bands give beginners a good workout when they are just getting in to fitness, and are awesome for frequent gym-goers for low intensity in-between/recovery days. They are also great to mix in with a workout to REALLY feel the burn.
- Cost: $10-$20 at Winners
- Buy them here: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/fitness/training/resistance/product/energetics-pro-series-flat-band-set-332005647.html
- Tosca Reno eat clean books
- Everyone has heard the phrase “eat clean”, but most people just assume that it means “eat healthy”. Which isn’t untrue, but eating clean is actually a concept that was created and made popular by Tosca Reno, a certified Nutritional Therapy practitioner. Her books give really great, easy-to-read explanations of the benefits of, and science behind, clean eating, as well as recipes that actually taste good and aren’t bland and boring.
- Cost: $16-$20
- Buy it here: https://www.amazon.ca/Eat-Clean-Diet-Cookbook-Great-Tasting-Recipes/dp/1552100448/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480961864&sr=1-2&keywords=tosca+reno+eat+clean
- Foam roller
- When you start working out multiple days each week, you’re going to want a foam roller. It’s basically an intense massage that targets your muscles to help with recovery so that you can get back to the gym faster. You know those leg days where it feels like you can’t walk for a day or two? Using a foam roller drastically reduces the pain, and gets the knots out to help your muscles better recover.
- Cost: $49.99
- Buy it here: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/hockey/hockey-accessories/fitness-recovery/foam-rollers/product/sklz-self-guided-foam-roller-332028116.html
- Most of the time, eating vegetables is super boring if you don’t have the time to do a ton of prep work. A spiralizer saves you the time of cutting up your veggies, and turns them into awesome “noodles”…just add (an oil and vinegar based) dressing!
- Cost: $20-$40
- Buy it here: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starfrit-spiralizer-spiral-slicer-1423508p.html
- Protein cookies
- Kicking junk food to the curb is probably the hardest part of a healthy lifestyle change (I hate the word “diet”), and getting enough protein in can be tough for anyone who goes to the gym often and is looking to build muscle. Protein powder is a staple, but protein cookies are a nice treat that not many people normally buy for themselves because of the price.
- Cost: $45-$50 for a box of 12 cookies
- Buy them here: https://www.amazon.ca/Lenny-Larrys-All-Natural-Complete-Chocolate/dp/B004IJM4OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480961992&sr=8-1&keywords=lenny+larry
- TRX Home Gym
- TRX bands are a big step up from resistance bands, and are awesome for at home workouts that are super effective, especially for abs. They are a bit pricey, but perfect for someone who might not have time to get to the gym (e.g. new moms and dads) or who feels more comfortable working out at home.
- Cost: $129-$249
- Buy it here: https://www.trxtraining.com/
- Bluetooth headphones
- Bluetooth headphones were one thing I would never have bought for myself, but now that I have them I can’t live without them! No more awkward cord in the way when I workout, or uncomfortable arm bands, or only buying leggings with pockets. The Jaybirds are my favourite, but there’s tons of other options at higher and lower price points.
- Cost: $119-$200 for Jaybirds, I have the X2s and LOVE them
- Buy it here: http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=jaybird
- Sweat with Kayla
- Kayla Itsines’ “Sweat with Kayla” app (a.k.a. Bikini Body Guides or BBG) has exploded in popularity this year. It can be accessed from your smartphone, and gives the user a comprehensive fitness and health plan, making it super easy to stay on track!
- Cost: $59.99 for a 3-month subscription
- Buy it here: https://sweat.kaylaitsines.com/en/bbg-signup/new